Blackening on labia, warts in genital area, itching and spreading. What is going on?

Jul 2012

Yes, I am a female of 87 years. On the right labia I have developed a dry-appearing dull black darkening on the upper side of the skin. It seems to be slightly thickened, and I wonder could it be malignant. Also, i have of late what I call warts in my genital area. They look like plane warts. My female doctor says she feels they are only thickening of skin, but they itch and they are spreading and freezing them it like pouting a cup of water of a forest fire. After treatment, I have a doubting or tripling of the problem. This area is kept as dry and clean as ppossible. What's going wrong? Note I'm 87. Hardly caused by contagions, I think Thanks.
Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 8 hours later
Hi there.
I note your detailed history & take into account you are all of 87 years young.
Sudden appearance of genital warts at your age while flattering, is unlikely.
These lesions & the large one you describe are most likely to be a medical condition of beingnn skin tumors called seborrheic keratoses.
I do concede freezing them may be an option but i have never been a fan of cryotherapy given the side effects that patients' experience such as the ones you describe. I fully appreciate your sense of hygeine & applaud it. This has nothing to do with contagions.
Might i suggest you visit a dermatologist & discuss the prospects of a topical use of 5% 5 Fluorouracil cream applied twice a day to the lesions with surrounding vaseline application to limit the effects of the cream to the lesions only & this can be applied on alternate days. This may effectively give you a clearance of the lesions over a 1-2 week period & the remainder may be cleared using lasers or electrosurgery (hyfrecator). Remember these are just pointers to guide you & your dermatologist on the ground will have to be in agreement & help you out.
There is no immediate threat of cancer but yes if this issue is allowed to linger, there may be a small percentage 1% or so that may end up being pre-malignant in the best to address the issue currently but sans fear!
I do hope i have given you a clear road map & action plan & wish you all the very best & hope you have a clear skin soon!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD