Black toe nails due to shoe pressure. Is this a fungus and is there a cure?

My toe nails are dark to black due to being traumatized such as shoe pressure. Some of the nails are thick.
Is this a fungus? And is there a cure? email address is YYYY@YYYY I am afraid to take medicine that can affect my liver.

Posted Wed, 12 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 33 minutes later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

Nails can become thick and discolored due to fungal infection.

As you have to take treatment for 4-6 months or more and anti fungal drugs can cause liver damage, you should consult a Dermatologist to confirm diagnosis, for supervision and prescription.

You should also get your blood sugar (F & PP) tested.

Thanks for trusting XXXXXXX and posting your query.

Hope you found my response to your query informative and helpful.

If you have further concerns in this regard, I would be happy to discuss those with you as well.

With good wishes,

Dr.Chandra Shekhar Sharma