Black spots seen when sitting and squatting. Pulse rate has jumped to 157 and taking atenolol. What else could it be?

im 34 yr female
bp normal lay down sit up test showed fine
however everytime I sit/squat bend over/down when I stand I c blak out spots has been happening for nearly 6 mths
did the lay / sit up test fine but wen they did squat to stand nurse said my pulse rate jumped to 157 1st time the it was above every time after. what's happening to me?? dr put me on atenolol 50mg but doesn't help much at all
Posted Fri, 30 Aug 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 54 minutes later
Dear Madam,

Thank you for your query.

Well looking into the history and symptoms you are saying it seems that you are suffering from postural hypotension that may result due to autonomic dysfunction . These can be multiple reasons for this condition .

It is not possible to pinpoint a diagnosis by history . It needs both physical examination as well as routine and specialised tests for complete evaluation and reaching a diagnosis .But you havent provided any other history providing any clue.

I advise you to discuss this with a cardiologist and let him do the needful . Diabetes and thyroid dysfunction also needs to be ruled out. A tilt test is advisable.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Shruti