Black spots on tongue, cold sores. Cause of spots?

I just noticed a black spot on my tongue, and another one starting to form on the top section. I have been getting sores as well. I attributed the sores to my congestions from a cold, but can't figure out the dark spots.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query
There can be various reasons for black spots on tongue like
Poor oral hygiene
Excessive use of tea,coffee,alcohol,tobacco and smoking
After a prolonged use of antibiotics
Fungal infections
Local injury on tongue
After tongue piercing
And rarely it can be cancer also

I advise you for
Proper cleaning of your tongue daily
Avoid tea ,coffee,alcohol and tobacco
Take B complex vitamins
Take plenty of water

If you don't get alright in next 5 to 7 days with these measures then you consult your doctor
I hope to have answered your query however you can revert to me for for any further query.
Thanks and best of luck.
Follow-up: Black spots on tongue, cold sores. Cause of spots? 1 hour later
I brush my teeth 3 times a day (sometimes more). I floss regularly, and I scrape my tongue twice a day. I am not on any antibiotics. I do not smoke...I have never smoked. I do not drink alcohol or coffee. I have no tongue piercings, nor have I injured or bitten my tongue. I also make it a point to drink no less than half a gallon of water a day. I take a sublingual vitamin B every other day. I have, however, in the past week started to drink XXXXXXX tea on a daily basis in the morning only. I rinse and gargle on a regular basis with Peroxyl mouth wash. Of all the possibilities you have listed, I am not left with anything I am too happy about. Since you did not comment on the sores, is it possible that they are the result of the nasal congestions?
Thanks for writing back
It is really praiseworthy that you are a health conscious individual.
Nasal congestion is not the cause for mouth sores.
Likely causes could be
Hot and spicy foods
Acidic fruits like citrus fruits
Ill fitting denture or some tooth
Lack of B12,VIT C or iron

I advise you to take B12 and VIT C daily along with some local soothing gel.
You should be alright in few days.
If you don't recover in few days or your problem worsens then you must consult your doctor for proper examination and investigations.