Ask a Dentist   »  

Black spots on the tongue, hyperpigmenation

How can I remove black spots form my Tongue, all the doctors I've been to tell me it's normal and it will make the condition worse if I remove them! But I'm very conscious of my tongue when I'm speaking!the brown spots on my tongue could be due to hyper pigmentation I've had them for as long as I can remember. please give me the name of the precise doctor I need to see and where they are located!
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 11 hours later

I am afraid, the suggestions that you have been given till now are correct.

I can very well understand how bad you feel about these brown spots but I am afraid there is nothing much that can be done to effectively and safely remove these spots.

There can be a number of causes like Antibiotics,Antimalarial drugs,discolouration from dental amalgam (tooth fillings),poor oral hygiene and smoking.

Nevertheless, I would suggest you to talk to your doctor(Dermatologist, XXXXXXX medicine specialist) about the possiblity of Peutz-Jegher's syndrome, which should be ruled out if you have symptoms like abdominal pain or blood in stools.

Otherwise it is best to leave these spots alone.

Hope i have answered your query.I will be available for follow up.