Black spots on the face. Tried Sun Ban cream. Permanent cure?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi Doctor,

I have black spots on face at both the chin area. I consulted Dermatologist and he suggested Sun Ban cream, I am usng currently, but no improvement. Appriciate if you can advize me further to cure this problem.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Pigmentation Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later

Black spots at the age of 40 are likely to be age spots also called Solar Lentigines. These spots are harmless condition and don't need treatment. One can opt to treat it for cosmetic purposes. You can lighten the area by skin bleaching products. It can be removed by procedures if such products do not help.

Your dermatologist has given you sun ban cream which blocks the sun rays to further darken the spots. As the results have not satisfied you, the other available treatment options include:

1.) Medications - Hydroquinone and isotretinoin creams with mild steroids.
2.) LASER therapy
3.) Dermabrasion
4.) Chemical Peel.

In addition to the aforementioned options avoid exposure to sun to the maximum, use a sunscreen lotion when you move out in sun. Drink plenty water and eat healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Proper distressing measures is also beneficial.

I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Praveen Tayal.