Ask a Dentist   »  

Black spots on sides of tongue, no sensation, spreading and now soreness. How do I get rid of it?

There had been black spots on the sides of my tongue for the past couple of months. It used to fade away in a day or two. There wasnt any kind of sensation on those parts. But lately the spots have spread all over the tongue and its kind of a sore sensation. How do I get rid of that black colouring?
Posted Mon, 17 Sep 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 3 hours later

Thank you for posting the query,

I understood your problem however it would be good if you can post me a close up picture of the tongue lesion. This would help me answer you better.

However ,I shall address your concern based on your current given information.
With history what you have submitted ,there seems to be few possibilities.

Usually if it is speckled pigmentation then there is a possibility of it being melanocytic nevi .Other condition where we get similar lesion is Peutz jaghers symdrome which at times is associated with gastric problems.

A slightly bigger lesion is seen in Addisons diesase,where in we observe pigmentation in body too.

There are certain exogenous reasons also like silver deposition known as Argyria .This can also because if somebody is using dentures (probably not on your case).

Antimalarial tablets like chloroquine can also lead to pigmentation of tongue.

At times pigmentation is also seen in smokers and those who drink alcohol.

I would advise you to consult a dermatologist near your place and get it diagnosed .Probably ,if necessary you may also need to go for a biopsy .Most of the time such lesions are benign and there is nothing much to do .

If we rule out other systemic causes then the treatment is only for cosmetic reasons .Probably a laser can help in such conditions.

If you can reply me with the pictures, I would be able to suggest you better.

Awaiting for your reply.

Dr.Bharat chawda XXXXXXX specialist, Dermatology.