Black spot on nail, white and brown spots on body. Is it melanoma?

Please, I saw today strange little vertical black stop on nail.
It is only on one nail, but it scared me enought to think it is melanoma.
On the internet by searching , everywhere it says it is skin cancer.
Of course I will go to dermatologist but It will take weeks before they can take me ..
I need to hear somebody option about it ...
My skin in last month change alot.
I got some strange white spots on body and brown spots also.
I send you picture of it .
Thank you ..
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Skin Cancer
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 7 hours later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Seeing the nail, I reckon it is a very small spot. Do not be unduly conclusive of skin cancer at the moment. Even if it was with respect to your skin changes (which I see too as small white and brown discolorations in the pictures) you certainly have been prompt in reporting this so early. And this should the doctor in initiating an early management which should have higher chances of cure.

I do not get the impression of malignant melanoma with the pictures you have sent. The other conditions I can think of is malnutrition with your white spots, and a small benign mole on your nail. But, a complete clinical examination is required to assess you completely for the final diagnosis. Yes, you are anyway going to the dermatologist, good.

Would like to share a basic patient info regarding a melanoma, which you need to confirm any of the 4 to say it is :
A - Assymetry - one half of lesion different from other half.
B - Border - unduly wavy
C - Color - Range of different hues.
D - Diameter - more than 3 mm

If you spot is not in the above ABCD it certainly has less chance of a melonama, So relax if not. But, do give a doctor check.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.