Black spot on foot due to itching. What is it?

Jul 2012

I have got black spot at back side of left foot due to itching. Itching once started, it cannot be avoid at-least more than 20 minutes. It started with small black spot and now it is covered large portion of back foot. I am not able to understand what kind of symptom it is. Please guide me.

Posted Wed, 12 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 1 hour later
Hi there XXXXXXX Am happy everything works fine at your end except the lesion on your foot! I wonder if you could please take a good clear photograph/s of the region & upload it on this web site & will help me give you a clearer picture?
If not, no worries..could you please describe it further by way of size, shape, borders? central clearing? blisters with water inside? scaling? redness in margin? any treatment hitherto? Any nails changed colour or any thickening or dirt under the nails? any problem in between the toes? sweating excessively on feet? similar lesions in friends/spouse/colleagues/family members?
I shall be happy to guide you further once you have given me a little more information to go on along these guidelines.
Looking forward to hearing from you. Cheers!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD XXXXXXX Hospital, Bangalore
Follow-up: Black spot on foot due to itching. What is it? 5 hours later

Thanks for your response!

As requested, Please find the attached picture of my left foot with black spot.

This spot is in center of foot and covering almost center of whole foot and covering the edges of foot. This spot is in round shape.

By looking at picture, you will able to see size & shape of black spot. There is no water insider the black spot. That portion is total dry and there is no redness near to spot. There is no impact on nails due to this spot. There is no problem in toes and there is no sweating in feet. There is no similar lesions in family & friends.

Generally itching is not done on back foot every day. It happens generally 3-4 times on month and at same time it is really bad itching and not controllable.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 33 minutes later
Hi there XXXXXXX

I read your detailed description & thank you for answering all my queries & providing a good clear photograph (2). I went through them all & here are my observations/suggestions:
It appears at the outset, you have a 'fungal' infection of the instep/foot region..this will require a simple/painless/office procedure test wherin the area will be scraped & the skin filings placed on a slide with KOH (potassium hydroxide) & looked under a microscope by your dermatologist.
Once confirmed, a systemic & topical antifungal namely of the terbinafine group 250mg tabs once/day taken for 2-4 weeks & local cream applied for a similar period will be the order of the day & will rid you of your problem
Treatment of the fomites/footwear & preventive measures like using antifungal dusting powder in socks/shoes for the future are recommended.
I do hope you will visit your nearest dermatologist who you can find from our XXXXXXX panel for the scraping/prescription et al.
Cheers & good luck & wish you a speedy recovery!