Black seeds in stools. Are these parasites?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I had black seeds in my stool ..looked like watermelon seeds, does this mean I have parasites?
Posted Sun, 8 Jul 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 15 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
No it may not necessarily be of parasitic etiology.There can be various causes for the phenomenon .
The most likely cause can be undigested fruit or vegetable seeds.
The second possibility could be mucus flakes admixed with altered blood (malena).
The last possibility would be parasitic infection.
The investigation of choice to ascertain the cause would be stool examination. It clears all the doubts.
I hope this answers your query. You can write back if you have any further doubt.
With regards