Black pigmentaion on face,high melalin production,chemical peel

my skin on face is become black may be due to higher melalin production as per drs.i have chemical peel 4-5 times,no positive let me know what i should do?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

It seems that you are having freckles or melasma. Age related changes are obvious. It is due to overproduction of melanin by the pigment cells, melanocytes and although it is more commonly found in most individuals, melasma especially in females, males may also get effected and the usually affected areas are forehead, cheeks and nose. Sun exposure even if it is for a short time in your case can be responsible for these symptoms, known as freckles.

Since you have had chemical peel already 4-5 times without much benefit, laser therapy may be needed. It is available only under prescription and hence a dermatologist should be consulted for this treatment option. Dermatologist may also suggest other options for you like dermabrasion.

Lasers function by emitting a high-intensity, coherent energy source that is absorbed by water, hemoglobin, and melanin in the skin. The absorption of energy destroys the chromophores ( melanin producing cells). The wavelength of the laser dictates the depth of laser penetration and the chromophores targeted. It shows good results with minimal adverse effects.

We generally advice to speak with the dermatologist and get educated on the results. The skin may not get back the god given one, but certainly improves the way it is now. The cost of treatment depends on the number of sittings that you will require for skin color lightening and the area involved.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.