Ask a Urologist   »  

Black or brown freckles on penis, flat, no discomfort. Is this normal?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I notice today I have 10-12 small black/brown freckles on the shaft of my penis. They are flat, does not bother and I would have never notice them unless I took a careful look at my penis today. I have not noticed them but they appeared out of no where, is this normal?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 46 minutes later

From the description you have provided I can think of a few possibilities here,

1. For all you know those spots could have been there from a long time, but you might not have noticed them till now

2. The appearance of the brownish black spots could be Fordyce's spots. These are painless and non itchy spots due to abnormally dilated blood vessels.

The cause is usually unknown and they arise by them selves.
They are non infectious,subside on their own after sometime and do not require any treatment.

If they are associated with any pain, itching, discharge then other conditions as warts, ulcers, skin conditions can be thought of.

If their is development of any other symptom then consider visiting your Primary Physician for physical examination and evaluation.

I hope this answers your query effectively.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Follow-up: Black or brown freckles on penis, flat, no discomfort. Is this normal? 31 minutes later
Thank you for the prompt response doctor, did you get a chance to view my picture I attached with the question?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 15 minutes later
Hello again,

Yes, My response was based on the picture you attached with this query.

Without a picture it is very difficult to guess what kind of red spots you are having. The picture was very helpful.