Black mole on thigh, feel like lump

I am 31 yrs old and 2 mos ago a new black mole appeared on my upper left thigh. It has gotten jagged in appearance and today the scab came off and it is still black underneath. It also feels like a lump is under neath the mole. I do have an appt on XXXXXXX 1st with my dermatologist, however if this does not sound of any concern then I would like to cancel due to my high insurance deductible of 2500. I have never had a black mole and just need some opinions on this one???
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 31 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

I would like to know few things here to answer you better like:

1) Your skin color/type.
2) do you have many such moles in body ?
3) Is the mole itchy or is there any bleeding form the mole ?
4) Do you feel that the size of the mole is increasing very fast ?

With the little description you have given I would like to say that there is certainly a inflammation underneath the mole ,which is not a good sign.But with the course of antibiotic if it suppresses and doesn't recurs ,then there is nothing to worry about.But if there is recurrence of similar episodes with itching or bleeding from the site then you should get it removed.The fear is of it being cancerous(depends upon the above points ) .
A biopsy of the lesion would help to rue that out.

It would be good if you can consult a dermatologist and discuss the above points.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up query if any.

Follow-up: Black mole on thigh, feel like lump 1 hour later
I have a pretty XXXXXXX complexion, my mother is of mexican descent and my father is German. I have some other moles but all are XXXXXXX non of which are black, I would say I have well over 100 moles and some look a little funny, the mole on my thigh was itchy at first, that is how I noticed it. When it formed a scab it was more on the painful to touch. It did increase in size just a little and that is when I noticed the jagged irregular edges on it. that is when I called to make appt with dermatologist. When the scab fell off I thought I had nothing to worry about, but like I said it is still black underneath with a bump. What kind of antibiotics would help? I have been on Cipro for a bladder infection for about 5 days now. would that work?
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 10 hours later

Good to hear from you again.

Cipro should also work over skin lesions, but the best would be a macrolide group of antibiotics. Please discuss with your Dermatologist about the group of antibiotics and for further evaluation, if needed.

As you said it was itchy initially and later developed a scab, in such a case I would suggest that you see a dermatologist and a surgeon in tandem. The look of the lesion is very important, so a dermatologist would be the best judge. A surgeon would be best to remove it efficiently.

More than 100 moles, some funny looking, increasing in size, all suggests its aberrant behavior. An excision biopsy would be the best option. Biopsy report would help to rule out any malignancy, if present.

I hope, this would help you further in decision making while you consult a dermatologist.