Black line on neck which does not disappear, conscious of it. Should I be concerned about it?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
Hi my 16 year old daughter has a black line on her neck whcih doesnt disappear no matter whats she does ! She is extremly conscious of it when she has to have her hair tied up ! Just wondered is it something I should be concerned about thank you
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Pigmentation Problems

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 2 hours later
Hi

Thanks for posting your query

Here are few queries you need to reply before we can decide on anything :

Is the black line present since birth?

If yes you need to go for cosmetic sirgery

If no :

How long has it been there?

Is there any history of injury in the same area?

Is there similar line anywhere else in the body?

Can you upload a picture of the lesion?

Get back with these replies and we will help you out

Wishing your daughter a speedy recovery

Follow-up: Black line on neck which does not disappear, conscious of it. Should I be concerned about it? 44 minutes later
Hi the line has been there for about a year hasnt any anywhere else cant get a picture at the moment. Thank you

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 8 minutes later
Hi

Thanks for posting your query

In that case there are two options for you, go to a dermatologist and get a prescription for an ointment which reduces melanin pigment in the local area like Melanolite

Or Else Visit a cosmetic Surgeon and get his opinion in person after getting your daughter examined

Am available for any followup

Wishing your daughter a speedy recovery