Black line on gum between front teeth, no swelling. What is it?

Dentist, Pedodontics
Hi Doc, there is a black line on the gum between one of the lower front teeth in my 17 months old baby. There is no swelling however the XXXXXXX seems to be half way the gum vertically. Please can you enlighten me on this condition?
Posted Sat, 25 Aug 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Amitabha Chakraborty 4 hours later
Hi, Thank you for the query. I do understand your worry about your kid. But I can assure you that a black or dark stain or discoloration of gum in children are not a serious condition. ONLY WHEN A BLACK SPOT ON THE GUM THAT IS GROWING RAPIDLY IS A MATTER OF CONCERN. IN THAT CASE ONE SHOULD SEE DOCTOR IMMEDIATELY. I do not have the picture of the gum of your kid, but generally there are two reasons that can cause staining in the gum. First is the that the gum itself is dark colored or may have darker patch from focal melanin pigmentation in the gum mucous layer. That is normal, as somebodies hands are more darker than his/her trunk(body). The second reason is stains caused by chromogenic( stain producing) bacteria, that generally develops over uncleaned food or milk layer, if you do not clean your kids mouth after feeding. A clean picture can help in more accurate diagnosis. If you are worried too much , you can contact local dentist. But I am again assuring you that mostly the stains are not XXXXXXX just keep your babies mouth clean. Hope your query is answered. You are most welcome if you have any further doubt. Thanks.
Follow-up: Black line on gum between front teeth, no swelling. What is it? 9 hours later
Will the XXXXXXX disappear naturally with continued cleaning?
Answered by Dr. Amitabha Chakraborty 2 hours later
Well, if the XXXXXXX is from the pigmentation from Melanin, that is normally present in the gum tissue, will not disappear. Melanin is a natural component of the gum tissue and will not cause any harm. If it is caused by stain produce by bacteria, it will slowly disappear once you keep his gum clean in regular basis. Don't worry. Both those type of stains does not cause any serious harm. Watch for few weeks. then you can consult a local dentist for further clarification. Thanks.