Black dot appearing on inflamed hemorrhoid? What to do?

Hi i need to know what to do about a black dot that is appearing on my inflamed hemorrhoid? I'm going to the doctor Wednesday to get it checked out,but it seems to be worsening. I've been doing what I'm suppose to. I've been eating fruits, more fiber, and using the creams, wipes, and the XXXXXXX stuff like I'm suppose too. Nothing seems to be working and I just wanna know what I can do until I go to the doctor to make it more bearable to deal with them...
Posted Sat, 15 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later

Thank you for your health concerns.

Hemorrhoids are dilated veins that have a serpentine shape; many times, because of the tortuosity and low flow, a small clot or thrombus can form inside the dilated vein, giving a dark or blue appearance like we can appreciate from the photos, many times with increase in pain and discomfort, and an indurated feeling.

If topical treatments, including ointments with phenylephrine (Like preparation H) are not effective, surgical removal might be indicated. Your doctor next Wednesday can make that determination, in case that there is indeed thrombus (small clot) on physical examination.

Hope this is helpful, wish you the best health,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN
Follow-up: Black dot appearing on inflamed hemorrhoid? What to do? 5 hours later
Thank you! :) I have another question...what if it's starting to drain blood? On the side closes to the anus it's starting to drain some blood, not alot,but I still would like to know what I should do. And I just had diaria about 3 or 4 hours ago and feeling sick to my stomach? Could that be from the sudden change in my diet I made?
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 13 hours later

Thanks for the reply.

In terms of the bleeding, rarely hemorrhoids cause clinically significant bleeding; if there is more bleeding or pain present acutely, a visit to urgent care might be warranted, but for now I think you can keep the appointment with your other provider. I would try not to manipulate it or the area of the anus as it could promote infection.

In terms of the changes in the bowel movements, yes, it could certainly be related to your dietary changes, which are good dietary changes.

Hope this is useful, warm regards,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD