Black colored vomit, no bowel movements. All tests normal. Causes for black colored vomit?

My father is feeling very sick throwing up black stuff and he hasn't eat any food off that color. He hasnt had a bawel movment for two days He went to the doctor and hospital few days ago and did all the tests they could possibly do and everything came back ok. Have you ever heard anything like this? What it could possibly do?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 38 minutes later
Thanks for the query

The black stuff he is throwing up could be the following possibilities
1. Blood
3. Food mixed with bile acids

If he has been throwing up for a long time now then I suggest you XXXXXXX a gasto enterologist soon for an endoscopy.
Endoscopy is a method by which a small pipe with a camera is sent into the stomach to watch in the XXXXXXX organs like the oesophagus,stomach, and first part of the intestine.

It will tell us two things in your case, 1. if there is an ulcer which causing him to vomit blood. 2. If there is an obstruction in the intestine which is making him vomit bile or bile mixed with food

For now you could use the following advice

1. Avoid food XXXXXXX in fat is cheese, oily fried items
2. Avoid spicy food
3. Eat on time, regularly
4. Avoid milk and milk products
5. Oral antacids like pantaprazole can be taken after consulting your physician
6. Follow a bland diet.
7. If he is continuously vomiting please try him small amounts of liquids first, see if he is tolerating it and then slowly upgrade to a bland solid diet

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Follow-up: Black colored vomit, no bowel movements. All tests normal. Causes for black colored vomit? 37 hours later
Thanks for your respond we went to the er and he got ulcer they sad they perscribed him pills to stop vomiting and some other ones to stop bleeding. It's been 24 hours since than and he is still vomiting hasn't eat anything but there is no blood is all clean. He tryes to vomit like 1 hour after he take the pills. Please let me know what to do next exept going to er (if this is not dangerous)
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 3 hours later
Thanks for reverting

I am happy I was of help to you.

I can help you better if you can list the drugs that has been prescribed to you.

If he is continuously vomiting with retching then I suggest not to give him anything for the next 6 hours following which you could try giving him a liquid diet first, wait for 3 more hours to start him with a solid diet.

If this still doesn't help then you will have to take him back to the ER and probably get him admitted until he stabilizes. If he is not tolerating orally then he requires iv fluids to prevent dehydration and also for nutrition.

I hope I have answered your query. Pleae click accept of you have no further queries

I wish him a speedy recovery