Black and blue area, tender. Internal bleeding in bicep? Remedies?

Question
Had gotten drunk over weekend and ended up playing punching game. Woke up to a very black and blue area. And tender. Today slightly tender but black and blue area is larger. Normal? Remedies? Possible to have internal bleeding in bicep?
Posted Mon, 17 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 42 minutes later

Thanks for the question and sorry to hear about this.

If there is no bump at this site, then there is unlikely to be a large XXXXXXX bleed.Generally such discoloration is due to small bleeds in subcutaneous tissue.

You can try ice application and oral pain killers if there is pain.

This generally takes couple of days to resolve.

Hope this answers your question.

Regards.

Follow-up: Black and blue area, tender. Internal bleeding in bicep? Remedies? 15 minutes later
Is it normal though for the purple area to spread? Has gotten larger. And because of such large area of blood do I have to worry bout clots? So I take anything to think blood to help in recovery process?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 9 hours later
Yes, discoloration can slowly increase and spread to surrounding area.Generally these are multiple small subcutaneous hemorrhages and blood loss is not very significant as it might appear from outside.So no special treatment is needed.

Regards.

Follow-up: Black and blue area, tender. Internal bleeding in bicep? Remedies? 7 hours later
Should I have any worries about blood clots or anything else?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 4 minutes later
You need not worry about blood clot or anything else.

Regards.