Bitten by stray bitch, bleeding, washed wound, taking xprab vaccine. How is this vaccine? Can I take alcohol?

I have been bitten by stray bitch on leg. Blood oozed out . washed wound with bathing soap and got first shot next affternoon with in 24 hours. vaccine is xprab ranbaxy made in china today i had taken second shot
my question -- how is this vaccine .
can i take alcohal if yes how much if not how long
and what are side effects of vaccine
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 56 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

I am glad you have treated the wound appropriately - keeping it clean as soon as possible. Also, you have appropriately sought medical attention for treatment against a possible rabies infection. The vaccine you referred to in my opinion should be adequate to protect you so I would not worry about that. It is highly unlikely that you might have any issues with rabies given the treatment you have had so far.

You can take some alcohol but you should not drink excessively - no more than 2 or 3 drinks in a day.

The side effects of the vaccine are mostly related to sensitivity at the injection site or swelling at the injection site. It will not cause any other systemic effects otherwise.

I thank you again for the query and hope my response has been adequate and helpful if you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga