Bitten by mosquitoes and having itchy welts on legs and arms. What is wrong with me?

Hi My name is Dana I am 31 years old. The last 2 weeks have been driving me nuts because I thought I was getting bit by mosquitos I was getting itchy welts on my legs, and arms. But then I kept getting them and started to realize that this is not mosquitos its got to be something else. Then I thought maybe I have bed bugs so I had not 1 but 2 exterminators come and they both said NO Bed Bugs but you have dust mites. Ok I did everthing the exterminator told me to do. For 3 days I didnt get a welt but then started up again. My son who is 5 got a couple of them but not as bad as I am but he is sneezing ALOT . Im still getting these itchy red welts and even when I am at work they just appear on me. So now I dont even know what is going on with me. Can I be allergic to something and not even now Am I allergic to dust mites? I have no idea but all I know is that this is annoying cause its itchy. Please someone help me.
Posted Tue, 19 Nov 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is skin allergy

Detailed Answer:

From the information provided, both: you and your son have allergic problems. Have you moved into a new apartment/area recently: or, acquired a pet, bought a new rug or furniture/mattress?

You will definitely get relief with anti-histaminic drug, such as, cetirizine and, anti-allergic drug such as, montelukast. The same drugs will be equally effective in your son.

Consult your doctor, who will prescribe these drugs in appropriate doses to you and your son.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be happy to address to further queries, if any.

Fond regards,

Dr. Rakesh Karanwal
Follow-up: Bitten by mosquitoes and having itchy welts on legs and arms. What is wrong with me? 6 minutes later
Hi Thanks

I did recently get a new mattress this past week but the itchy bumps started almost 3 weeks ago. What is causing this though? is it just some allergy? This just started out of nowhere. If its definitly not bed bugs it looks like some sort of a bite to me but then out of nowhere one will just appear I cant explain it.
I just want these itchy welts to stop appearing
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Welts are allergic and called papular urticaria

Detailed Answer:

Welcome back.

Yes, it is definitely allergy and the slight bumps (which mimic insect bites) that you get are called popular urticaria.

I can only hazard a guess about the possible allergen, of which there are thousands. It can be a new cream, lotion, stockings, dress, socks, shoes..or even changes in atmospheric temperatures. However, airborne pollens are the commonest cause of popular urticaria.

Further, similar bumps with lot of sneezing in your son, point towards airborne allergens (dust particles, pollens etc). The allergic reaction lasts ONLY AS LONG AS the susceptible person remains in contact with the causative allergen(s).

As already mentioned, the suggested drugs will not only stop itching but also the welts.

Dr. Rakesh Karanwal

Follow-up: Bitten by mosquitoes and having itchy welts on legs and arms. What is wrong with me? 7 minutes later
Thank you so much !
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You're welcome

Detailed Answer:
You are most welcome, XXXXXXX

I will be happy to solve your medical problems in future too.

Fond regards,

Dr. Rakesh karanwal