Bitten by insect, continuous sleeping. Should I be concerned about the sleeping?

Neurologist, Surgical
My son was bitten by some type of insect. Looks like a Brown Recluse bite, but we don't know, never found the bug. Besdies the site itself his major symptom is almost continous sleeping. Since the time of the bite, which was 28 hours ago, he has slept 23 hours. Doctor put him on Bactrim for 7 days. Should I be concerned about the sleeping?
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shivakumar S. Kupanur 31 minutes later

I understand, your son is feeling drowsy after some unknown insect bite and right now on antibiotics.

I would like to know some more details which will help me in suggesting you better.
1. Do you notice any swelling, bite XXXXXXX or rash over the bite area/rashes all over the body?
2. Is he dowsy or is in XXXXXXX sleep? Is he arousable easily from sleep?
3. Does he have any pain over bite area?
4. Is there any drooping of eyelid?

Spider bite especially brown recluse variety can cause drowsiness. Though most of the bite are benign, self limiting and resolve on it's own.

Monitor his sensorium periodically, every 1-2 hours by waking him up. If it is difficult to wake him up or develop any other symptoms like swelling, vomitting, breathing difficult etc. you can take him to ER for evaluation. Kindly monitor for these symptoms.

Do not worry. I personally feel he should improve in next 24-48 hours. Till then, continue medications as suggested by your physician.

I hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.