Bitten by german shepherd dog. Took tetanus shot and anti rabies vaccination. Any suggestion?

Pediatrician
Question
sir i was bitten by an german shepherd dog on 21-12-2012. at that time i have taken onlyTetanus Toxoid Injection.
on 16-2-2013 i have taken anti rabies injection.the dog is still alive,is this dog cause rabies,is there any problem taking anti rabies injection now
Posted Fri, 8 Mar 2013 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 19 minutes later

Incubation period of rabies is from 1 month to 3 months; but it can vary from 5 days to one year.

It is good that dog is healthy after about 2 months. I suggest you to take three injections of rabies vaccine. First dose you took today on 16/2/2013; the next dose will be 7 days after 1st dose and the third dose will be 21 or 28 days after 1st dose.

This will serve as pre exposure prophylaxis as well.

Hope I answered your query. Let me know if you have any other concerns.

Wish you good health...

God bless!!

Follow-up: Bitten by german shepherd dog. Took tetanus shot and anti rabies vaccination. Any suggestion? 34 minutes later
thank you,
does this dog bite causes rabies,if dog still live 2months after it bites me.

Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 15 minutes later

Thanks again.

Relax... Since dog is healthy after 2 months; nothing to worry.
But take 3 doses as I mentioned.

God bless...

Follow-up: Bitten by german shepherd dog. Took tetanus shot and anti rabies vaccination. Any suggestion? 1 hour later
thank you,

site of bite is not paining when i touch it.if i thick about site of bite it is paining can i know the reason for that

Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 9 minutes later
Thanks for your follow-ups.

Relax,do not worry it is just because of apprehension only.
Complete vaccination in time.
Be careful with dogs in future.
Good luck!!