Bitten by dog tearing ear. Reattached the tissue. Lobe looks purple. Area is sore. Taking augmentin. Is this necrosis?

Question
I was bitten by a dog and it tore my left ear off yesterday. the lobe and pretty much the entire outer piece of the ear were removed. the plastic surgeon was able to reattach the tissue but was uncertain if the graph would take. today the lobe looks rather purple although the rest of the tissue looks pinkinsh-red and edematous. obviously the area is sore and there is some old sanguinous drge on the ear and the drsg. the vast majority of the ear is covered with a 4x4 drsg then covered with kerlix and held in place by a pressure drsg that runs under the jaw and velcros on top of the head. just wondering if I might be dealing with some necrosis or if im jumping the gun. im on augmentin 875-125mg PO BID x 10 days and follow-up on Wednesday.
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief answer...Very difficult to comment as it is too early.
Detailed answer...
It is very difficult to say at the moment regarding the outcome of reattachment surgery but there are two factors which are favourable.
1st there is a quite a good area in your ear lobe area which is looking pinkish and the purplish area is small
2nd Since ear lobe is very vascular,the chances of favourable outcome is much more,however it is too early to say at the moment and so wait and watch for another couple of days.
Till then keep taking your antibiotics and anti inflammatories regularly.
I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Wishing you a speedy recovery and best of luck
Thanks

Follow-up: Bitten by dog tearing ear. Reattached the tissue. Lobe looks purple. Area is sore. Taking augmentin. Is this necrosis? 29 minutes later
That's pretty much what I assumed. That's the problem with being medical yourself, sometimes you think too much. Thank you very much for the information and I appreciate your time.

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 15 minutes later
You are most welcome to ask any query anytime.
Thanks

Follow-up: Bitten by dog tearing ear. Reattached the tissue. Lobe looks purple. Area is sore. Taking augmentin. Is this necrosis? 2 days later
The lobe of the ear is now black, has no feeling and looks like a withered grape. The rest of the ear is a purplish-pinkish-red, extremely painful, edematous and itchy. I was wondering given the state of the lobe (which was a separate graft from the rest of the ear. it was split several years ago when an earring was pulled out), if you thought the rest of the ear would make it. I am still taking my ATB and pain medication regularly and the pressure drsg hasn't been removed yet. The follow up appointment is tomorrow in the afternoon. Anything you can tell me would be helpful. I just want an idea of what to expect tomorrow. Thank you

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 6 minutes later
Black ear lobe and no feeling in this portion suggest that your earlobe is not going to make up. However, the chance for rest of the ear looking bright as it is pinkish red, albeit painful and itchy, but that can be expected.
Let us see the clear position when your dressing is opened tomorrow.
Do let me know the progress.
Best of luck
Thanks

Follow-up: Bitten by dog tearing ear. Reattached the tissue. Lobe looks purple. Area is sore. Taking augmentin. Is this necrosis? 22 hours later
The MD said that he believes that the top portion of the ear will survive. The tissue still looks pretty bruised but much better now that all the old drge has been cleaned off. The color is turning more pink, as opposed to purplish-red, and seems to be healing well. The lobe according to the GP and the Plastics doc probably isn't going to make it. The tissue is a very dark purple to black and still has no feeling. I've been instructed to clean the area with peroxide, apply ATB ointment and leave it OTA. At this point the main concern is infection. I go back next Thursday for another follow-up and to see if we will need to continue with oral ATB. Just thought I would update you as to the situation. Thank you for all your time and patience.

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Thanks for writing back and apprising me of your latest situation.
As I wrote you earlier and as you had the apprehension,the ear lobe is probably not going to make it. Definitely the main concern is the infection now,but antibiotic cover and sterile dressings should see the day through.
Let us see how your wound is in your next visit.
It is good that the upper portion of ear is doing fine.
I would be happy with your updates.

Best of luck
Thanks

Follow-up: Bitten by dog tearing ear. Reattached the tissue. Lobe looks purple. Area is sore. Taking augmentin. Is this necrosis? 47 hours later
I will update you as to the situation after my appointment Thursday. Have a great weekend

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 36 minutes later
Thanks a lot.Great weekend to you also.
wait for your feed back
Thanks

Follow-up: Bitten by dog tearing ear. Reattached the tissue. Lobe looks purple. Area is sore. Taking augmentin. Is this necrosis? 46 hours later
Sadly I was involved in an accident last nite and the damaged ear suffered jnavoidable trauma. As I tried to exit the car the seatbelt caught my left ear and tore the stitches t the lower portion of the graft. Due to the extent of the damage they were unable to save the graft. I had surgery this afternoon on he ear. A pocket was created in the tissu behind the ear and the remaining portion of healthy tissue "tucked into" the pocket. The goal being for the tissue to begin to heal and microvessels to form. I follow up on Tuesday of next wk to check on the incision. In approximately 2wk we will check the ear itself and discuss reconsruction. Still taking augmentin and the rx was extended for 14 days. Will let you know how things turn out. Thanx

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 47 minutes later
Very sorry to hear about the accident.It is really very sad to think about your continuing woes.Anyway,almighty would take care of it.
Best of luck
My sincerest good wishes for your speedy recovery.
Would love to hear from you very soon.
Thanks