Bitten by dog. Got swelling. What should be done?

my hubby accidentally bitten by our puppy which is 10 weeks old when he smack the mouth and the teeth goes straight to his other hand and hit the vein and start to swollen up. we got german shepherd pure breed. what can we do?
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 1 hour later

Thanks for sharing your concern,
Your husband is bitten by puppy, I am sure your puppy must be vaccinated against Rabies.
In such cases chances of Rabies are almost negligible.
The wound caused by teeth must be washed with soap and water for 3 to 4 minutes followed by application of Povidone Iodine or Ethanol (Alcohol).
As there is no cure for Rabies, it is better to take post exposure Rabies Vaccination

Human diploid cell vaccine (HDCV) or purified chick embryo cell vaccine (PCECV) 1.0 ml, IM (deltoid area), 1 each on days 0, 3, 7 and 14.
In case dog is normal your Physician may reduce number of injection to three.

Hope this information is useful to you, In case you have any doubt please feel free to ask, I am available for clarification if any.

Dr A. Dubey M.D.