Bitten by dog. Got swelling. What should be done?
User rating for this question
my hubby accidentally bitten by our puppy which is 10 weeks old when he smack the mouth and the teeth goes straight to his other hand and hit the vein and start to swollen up. we got german shepherd pure breed. what can we do?
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 1 hour later
Thanks for sharing your concern,
Your husband is bitten by puppy, I am sure your puppy must be vaccinated against Rabies.
In such cases chances of Rabies are almost negligible.
The wound caused by teeth must be washed with soap and water for 3 to 4 minutes followed by application of Povidone Iodine or Ethanol (Alcohol).
As there is no cure for Rabies, it is better to take post exposure Rabies Vaccination
Human diploid cell vaccine (HDCV) or purified chick embryo cell vaccine (PCECV) 1.0 ml, IM (deltoid area), 1 each on days 0, 3, 7 and 14.
In case dog is normal your Physician may reduce number of injection to three.
Hope this information is useful to you, In case you have any doubt please feel free to ask, I am available for clarification if any.
Dr A. Dubey M.D.
People also viewed
- I have bitten by dog what should i do
- Lots moles on penis
- Recommend post exposure prophylaxis against rabies
- Suggest treatment for chicken pox
- Night sweat will lost weight
- What if the dog has anti rabbi and i was bitten
- Is tetanus injection and rabiwax vaccine sufficient to prevent rabies
- Bitten by dog got swelling what should be done
- What is the dosage of fluconazole for oral thrush
- Weight loss saggy vagina
- Swollen tongue then lost papillae
- Bitten by dog burning sensation swelling redness is that normal
- Is mild fever following tetanusanti-rabies vaccine normal
- Bitten by a stray dog what precaution should i take
- Lost sensitivity in penis