Bitten by bug and have rashes. Suggested no antibiotic. Concerned about Lyme disease?

Hi. I'm an optometrist so I have some medical background. Here's the issue: I got bitten last week by a bug. I saw it and flicked it off a few seconds after feeling the pinch. Then I got a rash that resembled a bull's eye. I became concerned about Lyme disease so I went to a dermatologist who told me just to leave it alone and no antibiotic was necessary. The rash did go away. The bug was about the size of a fly, was on me for less than a minute, and I live in southern California where getting Lyme disease would be rare. For some reason I am still paranoid. If it isn't lyme disease, then why did I get the characteristic bull's eye rash? I'm debating getting a blood test in a few weeks to rule it out. Necessary?
Posted Wed, 7 Aug 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 45 minutes later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

Bulls eye pattern rash is a characteristic of lyme disease.

It appears after 3 to 30 days after the bite.

It remains there and then becomes indurated to produce erythema chronicum migrans.

Rash clears partially only and never fade away completly.

In your case rash has disappeared completly ruling out possibility of lyme. I will also like to add that many insect bite lesions are characterised by a central punctum inside it and they also look like bulls eye.

In summary,I can tell you that You need not to worry much and have faith in your dermatologist. please Stay relaxed.

You can go for blood tests only when if you have symptoms like fever,joint pain etc.Otherwise there is no need for blood test also.

I hope this will solve your query.If you have any concerns i will be happy to help you.Take care.
Follow-up: Bitten by bug and have rashes. Suggested no antibiotic. Concerned about Lyme disease? 32 hours later
Thank you for the information. I feel better knowing the bulls eye pattern can be caused by things other than deer ticks. I will stop worrying.
Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 33 hours later

Sorry for late reply.

Yes.Many insect bites produce a central punctum in the centre and a reddish rim outside which looks like bulls eye pattern.

You need not to worry much.Just stay relaxed.

I hope this can solve your query.Take care.