Bitten by a vole. Washed with antibacterial soap. Used neosporin on it. What other steps should I take?

Question
Hello, I was just bitten by a vole that was in our kitchen that our cat was trying to kill. It pierced the skin on my middle finger, it did draw some blood but it has stopped bleeding. I rinsed it with peroxide and washed with antibacterial soap and now put neosporin on it. What other steps should I take?
Posted Mon, 13 Aug 2012 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 1 hour later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

You are supposed to take treatment for prevention of Tetanus.

You may also require a short course of antibiotics for prevention of infection.

If there is pain and swelling, you can take anti-inflammatory tablet for a few days.

As there is no history of vole bite causing rabies, vaccines for prevention are not required.

You should consult a general Surgeon for examination, 2nd opinion about ARV course and prescription for treatment.

Thank you for posting your query. Hope you found my response to your query informative and helpful.

If you have further concerns in this regard, I would be happy to discuss those with you as well.

With good wishes,