Bitten by a stray dog. What precaution should I take?

General Surgeon
Hi doctor this is XXXXXX from Bangalore I just met with a street dog bite please let me know the precaution and food need to take
Posted Sun, 5 May 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 25 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

If this is unknown for you dog, there is always a risk of rabies infection. So what you should do is wash your wound right after the bite and visit your doctor. You should get first dosage of vaccination as soon as possible. Also additional doses in 3,7 and 14 days after the exposure are necessary.

The other important thing is that wound caused by dog bite is a dirty one and for sure infected. Most of this wounds will cause bite area swelling, redness and puss accumulation. Usually it appears 3 days after the bite. In such case, surgical incisions will be necessary to drain the puss. Also antibiotics are advisable. The best antibiotic for such wounds is Clindamycine 300 mg 3x1.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Bitten by a stray dog. What precaution should I take? 28 minutes later
what food should i need to have can i have non veg
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 minutes later
Food does not have anything to do with dog bite wound. You may increase vitamin C XXXXXXX products for better immunity and garlic. However it wont make any difference for your wound if it is infected. So non veg food is also fine.

Follow-up: Bitten by a stray dog. What precaution should I take? 6 minutes later
Thank You doctor ,but i am an diabetic patient so required more suggestions .

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 12 minutes later
Well, like I have mentioned before diet wont have any impact for wound healing. So, as you are diabetic, for sure you are well informed what diet you should keep. And there is no need to change anything.
You should avoid simple carbohydrates. Only Complex carbohydrates with low gliceamic index should be consumed. So you should avoid soft drinks and fruit juices. You should be able to count Insulin dosage to carbohydrates consumed
(I assume that you are type 1 diabetic).
Vegetables, white meat, fishes, fiber XXXXXXX products, wholegrain products are advisable. Fatty foods should be avoided.

Hope this answers your question.