Bitten by a monkey. Given anti rabies vaccine in gluteal region. Looking for suggestion

Feb 2013

Hi, i was bitten by a monkey at a tourist place. the doctor their precribed a schedule for vaccine i.e 0-3-7-14-21. but a doctor at my place prescribed the last day as 28th instead of 21st. Pls advice what should i do. also sir, the 1st injection was given in the gluetal region. does that has any effect. pld help thank you.
my email id is- YYYY@YYYY
Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2013 in Vaccinations
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 16 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

I advise you to take 0, 3, 7, 14 , 28 schedule as it is the best schedule of anti rabies vaccination.

And anti rabies vaccine should be given in the deltoid region of arm in adults.

The gluteal region is avoided because of bulky mass which contains more fat. But if it is given deeply intramuscular nothing to worry and it will be effective.

But take the 4 remaining injections in deltoid region on arm as per the schedule.

If you have not received Tetanus Toxoid (TT injection) in the last 5 years go for one shot of TT injection.

Nothing to worry and complete the vaccine schedule and you will be protected from Rabies.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.