Bites on back, arm, face, grey spots on skin

I have bites all over my back, arms and face, I thought they were caused by bedbugs,they look like bedbug bites since we stayed at a hotel, that seemed to have bedbugs, but now I see tiny greyish looking things under my skin, what could it be? They look like tiny fleas.
I tried to remove them with a pair of tweezers, but i can't get a grip
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 40 minutes later

It is very common for one to encounter insect bites when one stays away from home, in a hotel.

An insect bite could cause an allergic reaction manifesting with itching, rashes all over the body, irritation of the skin surface.Systemic effects could be shortness of breath,wheeze,dizziness.Severe reactions called anaphylaxis may also follow with an insect bite.

The tiny looking greyish things under your skin could be a dermatitis following the insect bite.

Since I have not examined you it would be difficult for me to ascertain if it were to be fleas, scabies,bug bites, allergic dermatitis or a fungal infection.These could be the possibilities.

I suggest you to follow these measures

1. Have an antihistaminic like BENADRYL for 3 days which is an over the counter medicine .This will reduce the allergy and the complications.
2. Apply Calamine lotion over the area for a soothing effect.
3.You may consider seeing the Dermatologist / General Physician for an examination
4.Avoid scratching or removing the affected skin.It can lead to secondary bacterial infection.
5.Keep the area dry.
6.If the symptoms worsen or you develop shortness of breath, dizziness or severe rashes, you may visit the ER .

Hope this answers your query.I am available for follow ups as well.