Bite on right ankle. Noticed no pain, pus or marks. Why is it growing and skin peeling off?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I was in my patio where I have a lot junk the night before I noticed a 'bite' on my right ankle. It's been two weeks now and I haven't noticed or seen pain, puss, bite marks, or center. The only thing I've noticed has been that--it's gotten a little larger than a nickle, and the skin keeps peeling off. I has started to be a little sensitive but I think this is due to the peeling and thining skin. Any ideas?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 10 hours later
A two week old bite XXXXXXX on the ankle without any pain or discharge is not likely to be infected.
The peeling off of the skin in the area may be due to dead skin- due to decreased blood supply in the area. It would be helpful if you could send me a picture of the affected area by uploading the image in the box provided on the right side of the query box.
You need to keep the area clean and exposed to air. Apply a local antiseptic ointment like neosporin ointment to prevent infection.
Awaiting your response.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Bite on right ankle. Noticed no pain, pus or marks. Why is it growing and skin peeling off? 12 hours later
Thank you for your response. I have uploaded a current picture from this morning.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
I have seen the picture attached.
It seems to be an allergic reaction due to insect bite with superficial dermatitis. Application of 1% cortisone ointment will be helpful. If there is a persistent pain, then systemic antibiotics may be needed to control the infection.
You need to self monitor the area for any increase in size, pus like discharge, pain or fever in which case you need to consult your physician for proper treatment.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.