Bit by a bed bug. Swollen toe, painful while walking. What to do to reduce pain ?

Hi, I was bit by what appeared to be a bed bug yesterday morning on the toe second to my big toe. Today my toe was swollen and painful when walking, and now it gas swollen even more. I have it elevated but want to kniw if there is anything I can do to ease the swelling and pain?
Posted Mon, 4 Jun 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

I understand your concern.

I have seen the attached photographs.

As per your description and the photograph, I certainly feel you did get bitten by some insect.

Generally, insect bites don't cause such swelling but certain insect bites can be very painful.

I also feel that, there is some amount of infection in the area, if at all you see any pus collection in that area, I suggest you visit your local PCP and take a course of antibiotics.

Otherwise, this will settle down on its own over 3 to 4 days, to make it feel better, you can take a tablet of cetirizine twice daily for 2 days.

Hope this information will help you. Please do write back if you have any more queries.