Birthmark on face. Skin tag on belly. Could this be neurofibromotsis?

Dec 2013

I'm worried about a birthmark on my daughter's face. I'm not sure if it's a cafe au lait spot or a mole. She also has tiny skin tag on her belly. I'm fearing it's something more serious like neurofibromotsis. We don't have a history of that in our family. I'm hoping a doctor can help me identify it so I can rest easy.
Posted Thu, 7 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of melanocytic nevus

Detailed Answer:
Welcome and thanks for posting your query to healthcare magic.

I have thoroughly reviewed the picture of your beautiful and lovely daughter. The good news for you is that after reviewing and discussing with other of XXXXXXX dermatologist fellows, We can make a possibility of melanocytic nevus. I can say quite boldly that it is not Cafe au lait spot. Even if you consider it as Cafe au lait spot then also there is no importance of a single lesion in terms of neurofibromatosis. So you do not worry about the possibility of neurofibromatosis.

TO tell you more regarding all these- In Cafe au lait spot, these are basically light brown colored spots and are present manly on trunk rather than face . These are present singly or in multiple numbers. If these are present singly also then there is no significance of the same. If it is accompanied by mutiple of other same spots then also there is a criteria for diagnosis of neurofibromatosis. Presently your daughter do not have Cafe au lait spot so this point is beyond our discussion.

Now for the melanocytic nevus - as the color of the the spot is dark brown, present singly on face since birth gives the basic possibility of melanocytic nevus. These are also totally benign nevus and never pose any problem throughout life. The only concern is for cosmetic appearance which can also be taken care by latest lasers after a certain age. So you do not worry regarding the same.

I hope you must be relaxed now regarding the issue of neurofibromatosis.
If you have any further doubts I will be happy to help.

With regards,
Dr Sanjay
MD Dermatology
Follow-up: Birthmark on face. Skin tag on belly. Could this be neurofibromotsis? 4 minutes later
Thank you for replying. I am happy to know it's not a cafe au lait spot. I looked the nevus up and found this disease associated wtih it: Neurocutaneous melanocytosis. Should I be worried about this?
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
she has just simple melanocytic nevus

Detailed Answer:
Welcome again to the forum.

The melanocytic nevus is basically an individual entity and mainly not related to anything. Neurocutaneous melanocytosis is different entity with totally different mutiple associated features which are quite evident.
Your daughter is a healthy child and you have not provided with any othr abnormality related to her growth or development in last 1 year. In the picture also she appears to be quite busy with her work. Therefore I don't think any neurocutaneous abnormality. So she has just simple melanocytic nevus and nothing else. SO rest assured and enjoy the day with your sweet family.

With best wishes,

Dr Sanjay