Birth weight 2.76 kgs, excessive sleep, wakes up to take feeds, not active. Treatment ?

Girl Child age 17days, weight on 13.7.2011 2.66Kg, weight at birth 2.768Kg. She is having excessive sleep from yesterday. Normally she wakes up and take feed after 1 or 1nad half hrs but now she is not taking feed also. she is not much active also. she is not having fever.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Taher Kagalwala 18 hours later

Usually, it is normal that a baby less than a month old may sleep for up to 14-16 hours in a 24 hour day.

It may be that your daughter is not suffering from any problem, and is sleeping as normal for such a baby.

You should check her to see that if she feeds well when she awakens.

I do wish to know if your child has running nose, loose stools or is she looking very yellow in colour? Sick babies may behave in the way you have described.

If you are any doubt, do contact your baby's pediatrician urgently, as babies worsen very fast if not well.

At the same time, let me add that I think she might be okay.

Do revert to me if you are unable to solve the problem within the next 12 hours or so.

Keep checking if she runs a fever or something, and if so, contact me directly through this site.

Hope this answers your query.

I will be available for follow up quires if any.

Thanks and Regards.