Birth control,oral contraceptive pill.Safe?

Question
I AM 38 YEARS MOTHER OF TWO CHILDREN.AGE -11 AND AGE 06.I HAD BOTH CAESARIAN DELIVERY.
I HAD ORAL CONTRACEPTIVE PILLS BEFORE HAVING THE FIRST AND SECOND CHILD.I NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS.
FOR THE LAST 5 YEARS MY HUBBY USE TO USE CONDOMS BEFORE SEX,
NOW HE INSIST THAT I START WITH ORAL CONTRACEPTIVE PILLS.
1) IS IT SAFE TO HAVE PILLS AT THIS AGE?
2) WILL IT LEAD TO WEIGHT GAIN?
3) WHICH IS THE MOST SAFE WITH LESS OR NO SIDE AFFECTS ORAL CONTRACEPTIVE PILL IN THE INDIAN MARKET?COST IS NOT AN ISSUE.Please mention the brands which would have the very less side affects ?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Birth Control

Answered by Dr. Mitaly 26 minutes later

Oral contraceptive pills are a good choice of contraception and can be taken at your age as it is not a criteria for pill intake.

If taken regularly they are quite effective in prevention of pregnancy.

Regarding the side effects, weight gain is mentioned as an issue but significant gain in weight has not been reported by woman and even some do not have any change at all.

Other side effects also depend on the individual and can vary.

It cannot be assured that a particular brand will cause less side effects or not as the hormonal combination in the pills is more or less same.

Since you have already taken them before probably you should not have any side effect while having them now.

There are various pills available these days as Femilon, Novelon, Ovaral L, My pill.

Consider visiting a Gynaecologist so that you can be prescribed the one after evaluation of your age,height,weight,menstrual history etc.

Hope I have answered your query.

I will be available for your follow up queries.

Follow-up: Birth control,oral contraceptive pill.Safe? 5 hours later
IS WYETH Ltd. "LOETTE " BETTER THAN FEMILON,NOVELON & OVERAL .WHICH OF THEM HAS LESS ESTROGEN CONTENT.HENCE THE SIDE AFFECTS WOULD BE LESS.I WANT TO KNOW THE BEST ORAL CONTRACEPTIVE PILL AVAILABLE IN THE MARKET?

Answered by Dr. Mitaly 5 hours later

Thanks for the follow up

All the pills have same effect in providing contraception. There is no pill which can be classified as best as it depends on the individuals choice.

Regarding the estrogen component there is only a slight difference in every pill.

Femilon and Loette have the same amount of estrogen and there is difference in Progesterone component. Ovral has a slight higher estrogen.

There are XXXXXXX pills also available which do not contain Estrogen but they are less effective as compared to the combination pills.

Hope this helps!

Wish you good health

Follow-up: Birth control,oral contraceptive pill.Safe? 38 hours later
PLEASE DO RECOMEND ME A VERY GOOD ORAL CONTACEPTIVE PILL.I AM NOT BOTHERED ABOUT THE COST OF THE TABLET.
THE ONLY CONITION IS THAT IT SHOULD SERVE THE PURPOSE OF UNWANTED PREGNANCY WITH NO SIDE EFFECTS.
I TRUST YOU WOULD GIVE A POSITIVE AND SATISFACTORY REPLY.
PLEASE BE SPECIFIC WITH THE BRAND?
WHICH IS THE ONE YOU WOULD TAKE OR RECOMMEND TO YOUR NEAR ONES?
THANKS
REGARDS.

Answered by Dr. Mitaly 16 minutes later

Thanks again,

Kindly try to understand as I have already explained that there is no pill which does not have any side effect and the effects can vary in every woman.

You can take Femilon pill after discussing with your Gynaecologist.

Wish you good health.