Birth control pills, weight gain, family history of fibroid cysts, breast enlargement

Am a 36 yo woman, 5'2", 120 lbs, excellent overall health, exercise about 4 x week. Family history of fibroid cysts on mother's side, but not yet detected in own case. Two kids ages 10 and 8. Would like to know what type of oral contraceptive in my case would at the same time be best for breast enlargement (personal aesthetic preference) WITHOUT overall weight gain. Have not been on the "pill" for years. Am a 34 C but would like to go back to being around a 36 C (chest size). Thank you!
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Weight gain is a side effect of the birth control pills. It is never predictable how your body will react to it. There are no pills which have shown an absolutely no weight gain on clinical trials.
Without actually taking the pill it is not possible to predict how your body is going to react to it. The best out of the lot available will be a triphasic pill with lowest hormone levels like Triphasil, Ortho tricyclen, etc. XXXXXXX is a good option but it will not affect your breast size.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.
Follow-up: Birth control pills, weight gain, family history of fibroid cysts, breast enlargement 6 days later
Thank you Dr Tayal,
Would you give me more specifics regarding side effects? I do have a history of depression, that would be my main concern, as well as the loss of libido - which is closely linked to an overall good mental state. Also read about possibly developing melasma with Ortho tricyclen???

Thanks for writing again.

The common side effects include-breast tenderness, crying, mood swings, nausea, sleeplessness, headaches, depression, lighter and regular period, etc.

Depression and loss of libido might be there but these side effects do vary a lot from person to person and are thus difficult to predict.

Melasma is a comparatively less common side effect.

I hope this answers your query.

Wish you a very good health.