Bipolar disorder, taken depakote, want to restart medication. Any new alternate medication?

Neurologist
Question
bipolarI was on 1500 mg depakote daily. Discontinued 3 yrs ago with no ill effects. I may need it now. Is there newer and better med than depakote? It seemed to work by. making me so sick that I had little energy. A kind of constant downer.
p
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in ADHD

Answered by Dr. A.S. Keerthi 11 hours later

I am sorry. Your question is not very clear. Are you suffering from bipolar disorder? Fluctuations do occur in this condition. If you are not tolerating depakote, there are other medications to choose like lithium carbonate, lamotrigine, atypical antipsychotic drugs. But you should consult your psychiatrist before starting any drug because the choice of the drug depends to a large extent on your present state(depressive/maniac).

Anticipating your response.

Follow-up: Bipolar disorder, taken depakote, want to restart medication. Any new alternate medication? 42 minutes later
I would consult a psychiatrist if I were sure I would take a med. Lithium was more sickening than valproic acid (Depakote). If there were more targetted drugs, I would then feel there might be a cure better than the disease. I was diag as bipolar 1997 and stayed on the sickening dose of depakote several years until I got more sense. besides, there are situational factors that occasion significant stress and it is with that I would start. Tiredness is my symptom of concern at present. Doc finds testosterone level low. However I hesitate to enhance libido beyond control. Calcium is OK. CBC is ok. But I have no energy. Not sure, however, that it a cycle. Dep did nothing but make me sick and fat. Thanks Doctor for your concern and reply. If my response suggests anything, I'm listening. Ahain THANKS.
p

Answered by Dr. A.S. Keerthi 23 hours later

Depakote is known to increase weight.

If tiredness is the only complaint at present, you can still wait without starting any medication(which obviously will have some side effects).

You can go for a morning walk, do some stretching exercises, yoga and meditation. If you are not comfortable, consult a psychiatrist.

Have a pleasant day.

Follow-up: Bipolar disorder, taken depakote, want to restart medication. Any new alternate medication? 1 hour later
Thanks. Doctor

Answered by Dr. A.S. Keerthi 22 hours later
You are Welcome.

Feel free to contact in future for any neurological problem.