Biopsy shows pus in the back of throat, low grade fever. Sign of infection or cancer ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My Mom had a biopsy to determine the cause of an ongoing sore thorat. ENT said she either has cancer or an severe infection. She had a low-grade fever for a few days that went away after about two days, but sore throat persisted. Biopsy indicated alot of pus in the back of her throat ...isnt that more indicative of infection than cancer?
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
A biopsy is more confirmatory about the type of lesion rather than a clinical examination.
If the biopsy report is suggestive of a cancer then it is best to go for further investigations as suggested by your ENT specialist.
Presence of pus is possible in both the cases. Cancerous lesions are usually associated with infection due to lowered immunity of the body against infections. So the presence of pus in the ulcer is not more suggestive of an infection.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.