Biopsy of endometrium was negative for cancer. Thickness of the uterine lining is 12mm. Advice

Mar 2013
Thanks for the email. Biopsy of wife's endometrium came back today as negative for cancer. Since the thickness as measured by ultrasound was 12 mm, I was wondering if she is at increased risk for cancer since the thickness is greater than 5 mm? If, so what steps should we consider taking?
Posted Tue, 26 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 3 hours later
Brief Answer: UPLOAD THE REPORT, RISK DEPENDS ON BIOPSY PATTERN. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing back, and it is nice to hear from you again. Am glad that the biopsy has been conducted. As the report is negative for cancer, congratulations firstly. Next, for your question - is she at increased risk of cancer ? For answering that optimally, I would request you to upload the biopsy report and send it across to me. Based on the pattern of endometrial hyperplasia ( thickening of the uterine lining ) identified on biopsy, the risk of cancer in the future is quantified . To give you some figures for better understanding - Simple hyperplasia without atypia – 1 percent Complex hyperplasia without atypia – 3 percent Simple atypical hyperplasia – 8 percent Complex atypical hyperplasia – 29 percent As you can see, for simple hyperplasia, the risk is negligible. So if you upload the report, I can interpret and tell you the risk in percentages. For future precautions - 1. If she has any kind of abnormal or heavy bleeding again, a repeat biopsy is in order ( if this was an office endometrial biopsy, then next time, a proper D and C should be scheduled ). 2. She should have yearly gynecological exams, including Pap smear, XXXXXXX checkup and pelvic ultrasound scan. 3. Follow a healthy diet, keep your weight in check, make efforts to stay away from hypertension and diabetes. ( daily 30 minutes exercise routine ) Looking forward to hearing from you with the exact report. Please take care, and feel free to discuss further.