Ask a Urologist   »  

Biopsy of bladder taken. Taking macrodontin and antibiotics. Worried about having uti?

Urologist
Question
if the urologist took biopsy of the bladder and I am on macrodontin am I right in saying nothing will show up. 4 months I have been on antibiotics. It feels like a uti?
Posted Mon, 12 Aug 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 18 hours later
Welcome to the forum.
Antibiotics are given for treatment of UTI.
Biopsy is done to look for inflammation or cancer or tuberculosis or something called interstitial cystitis, which has the same symptoms of UTI.
It depends on the clinical situation. To look for a cause for recurrent UTI, the urologist resorts to cystoscopy or to look for any of the other problems i have mentioned above.
The biopsy is not going to show the organism like urine culture and sensitivity.
Hope this helps. Please write back for doubts if any.
best regards

Follow-up: Biopsy of bladder taken. Taking macrodontin and antibiotics. Worried about having uti? 1 hour later
they can't do a urine culture because I am on antibiotics. They have tested for a uti and found nothing.does squamous mtaplasia indicate a infection?this was found in the bladder trigone I have uti symptoms and have been on antibiotics for 4 months.

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 46 minutes later
Squamous metaplasia may be due to long standing infection or irritative process of any cause like catheterisation and so on.
If the biopsy taken from THE area and shows non-keratinizing type, there should be no worry.
If it is of keratinizing type, then you need followup cystoscopy.
One of the ways to prevent repeated episodes of infection is to take long term antibiotics, like you are taking.
Hope this helps.
Best regards

Follow-up: Biopsy of bladder taken. Taking macrodontin and antibiotics. Worried about having uti? 44 minutes later
The antibiotic dont make the pain go away the pain is still the 24 hours and the burning urination is still there. the only way the can pick up what infection it is if have to go off the antibiotics and then they test me but i have risk of it going to my kidneys or can they pick up the type of infectin this is while i am on antibiotics

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 4 hours later
welcome back.
I understand your worry.
Since you continue to have symptoms, your urologist wants to proceed with cystoscopy to look for a cause ( i have mentioned possible reasons in my previous answer) of your symptoms.
You need to seen clinically and your symptoms need to be correlate with the biopsy report. There may not be a ready-made solution and if so would have been solved by now.
Only detailed evaluation will help.
Hope this helps,
Best regards