Biliary drainage output, cloudy, flowing fast. Good to flush biliary catheter ?

my biliary drainage output looks cloudy and it's flowing out fast!
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Follow-up: Biliary drainage output, cloudy, flowing fast. Good to flush biliary catheter ? 18 minutes later
Is it good to flush the biliary catheter?
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 5 hours later

I presume you have an external biliary drainage.

Any external drainage becomes cloudy after sometime because of the proteins and precipitated minerals. It can also become cloudy if there is an infection too.

Biliary tree is closely related to vascular tree and hence even a slight infection of biliary tree can spread to the blood and cause systemic infection.

I encourage you to consult your gastroenterologist and if required learn the proper technique of flushing from him. You should also take supplements of essential fatty acids and fat soluble vitamins, as you are loosing bile salts.

Hope I have answered your query. Should you have any more concerns, I will be available to address them as well.