Bilateral trapeziectomy failed and fractured resulted. Having neuropathic pain. Taking horizant. Suggestion?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013
Good

Pediatrician
Question
I have had a bilateral Trapeziectomy. The first one on my left had was a complete success. My right hand, however, had a failed surgery in XXXXXXX of 2011. No OT was ordered and after returning to work 2 weeks post-op, a fracture resulted. A new ortho was consulted and a second surgery was performed. That was Nov. of 2011. I still have neuropathic pain and decreased function. I am currently taking Horizant with minimal relief. Any suggestions?
Posted Sun, 17 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 8 hours later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic,

Actually Trapeziectomy is done to relieve persistent arthritic pain at the base of thumbs in patients with osteoarthritis.

Neuropathic pain and decreased function may be due to the involvement of the peripheral nerves.

Continue Horizant as prescribed by your doctor.

Vitamins like vitamin B12, folic acid supplementation will improve the neuropathic type of pain.

Nerve conduction studies (NCS) to be carried out to demonstrate any involvement of the peripheral nerves.

So I advise you to consult Neurologist for evaluation and the management of neuropathic pain and decreased function.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Bilateral trapeziectomy failed and fractured resulted. Having neuropathic pain. Taking horizant. Suggestion? 12 hours later
Pretty much everything I already knew. I have already gone through the NCS with my Neuro. Dr. The joint area at the base of my thumb is shifted and I have a lump that has developed above that area. I have since lost my insurance and am looking for some exercises or suggestions of things I can do on my own. I still have my putty from my first therapy I am using to strengthen grip, etc. Hot wax therapy. Topical Voltaren.

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 27 minutes later

Thank you for getting back,

I can suggest you some exercises to improve the function.

Each exercise can be done for 10 times and do not force movements.

1 .Hang your hand at the edge of a table and lift and lower your hand with forearm
supported on the table.

2. Rest your forearm on a table with a duster under your hand. Hold your forearm
still with the other hand. Slide your hand from side to side.

3. Place the palm of your hand on a table. Bring your thumb away from the index
finger and then back again.

4. Place the side of your hand on a table. Bring your thumb away from the palm and
then relax the thumb (the action of holding a glass).

5. Touch each fingertip with your thumb as able and do not force movement.
I think these will help you to some extent.

You can continue the topical Voltaren as advised.

Regards.