Bilateral diffuse buccal edema and sore throat. on methyl pred and mutivitamin. Swelling got worse. Now?

ENT Specialist
Bilateral diffuse buccal edema and sore throat for 4 weeks. Was worse on right side now getting worse on left side. Already on methyl pred for 3 days and symptoms worsening. Started a multivitamin and b complex today. Swelling got worse on left today and so painful can't sleep. Been to doctor several times and initially said it didn't look to bad. The mucosa appears folded in a has a white appearance. Not specific lesions just an edematous appearance. Any ideas appreciated. Thanks, XXXXXXX Also think I'm losing weight. Had full bloodwork couple weeks ago and it was fine.
Posted Wed, 29 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. I would recommend a swab for bacterial and fungal culture and a mucosal biopsy if this condition does not subside.

2. Some of these causes need to be ruled out:
a. Fungal infections
b. Allergic reactions
c. Leukoedema
d. White sponge nevi
e Oral Lichen Plaus
f. Frictional Hyperkeratosis
g. Exposure to irritants like tobacco, alcohol
h. Oral submucus fibrosis
i. Any systemic disease causing local manifestations

3. If you can share any close up images of the lesions, it may be possible to narrow down the possible cause.

I must emphasize that most of these lesions are benign and should respond to treatment, especially since your recent tests were normal.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.