Bilateral calf pain and burning in feet. Cannot sleep and painful ache. Suggest remedy?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Bilat calf pain 2 months , now getting burning in feet/calf sometimes sono done no dvt. Pain worst at rest/bedtime . Deep calf pain , cant sleep painful ache
Posted Sun, 20 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 5 minutes later
If the sonography doesnt show a DVt then nothing to worry much.
The pain can be due to excessive walking or straining.
Also a lack of vitamin D and calcium as you are a female is very common at the perimenopausal age group
Otherwise What you are suffering from is restless leg syndrome. It may not be a pain but just a dull ache that doesnt allow you to keep your legs at one place for sometime.
Follow-up: Bilateral calf pain and burning in feet. Cannot sleep and painful ache. Suggest remedy? 8 minutes later
Vitamin D was fine , thats why concerned. Dont understand this feeling sometimes its a stabbing pain on top of my everyday constant ache. I dont excercise or excessive walking. This issue is getting worse. Is there another test like MRI to both legs , what kind of doctor can i see? The stabbing pain and now weird feeling in foot like burning sometimes also conerning. I am not diabetic.
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
They could be Nocturnal calf cramps.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Most of the time, night leg cramps occur for no known reason, and they're usually harmless.

In general, night leg cramps are likely to be related to muscle fatigue and nerve problems.

In rare situations, night leg cramps can be associated with an underlying disorder, such as peripheral artery disease,diabetes (both are negative in your case) or spinal stenosis. This spinal stenosis can be diagnosed by undergoing MRI scan of the Lumbosacral spine.

Self-care Activities that might help prevent night leg cramps include:
• Drinking plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration
• Stretching your leg muscles or riding a stationary bicycle for a few minutes before you go to bed
• Massaging the cramped muscle with your hands or with ice
• Walking or jiggling the leg
• Taking a hot shower or warm bath
Vitamin E supplements will also help in relieving the cramps

If you don't find any relief from the above measures, consult an orthopedic surgeon for further evaluation and management.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further.