Bilateral PE from birth control. WBC and platelets high. Had cold, was on Z-pack. What is wrong?

I am a healthy 38 year old woman who has bilateral PEs supposedly from my Birth Control. Many tests were drawn before I was anticoagulated and all were negative for clotting disorders. I had a bad cold 2 weeks ago and was put on a Z-Pack as a precaution. A week later a CBC was drawn (after antibiotics) and my WBC and Platelets were high. I looked back to all labs drawn since December 28th and my platelets were never high, always normal. What can cause this? Not that it matters but my INR is stable at 2.6. Thank you!!!
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding what are going on.

The most likely contributing factor to your elevated platelet count is the fact that your body recently experienced infection. Infection is a very potent stimulator of platelet production and platelet activation. We often refer to this in a clinical setting as reactive thrombocytosis.

At this point I do not see any reason to be concerned about the mild elevation of the platelet count. I would expect your place account to return to normal over the next several weeks.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert