Big toenail not growing after an accident for almost a year. Suggest transplant of cells or use of supplements?

Dermatologist
Question
I had an accident and my whole big toenail came off, there was no fungas as far as I can remember, but it has been about 12 months now and I still don't have a nail. Is there anything you can advise me on how to help it grow back? Or if to take any suppliments? Is there a specialist I should see? Is a transplant of cells or something from another nail an option? I've phoned a podiatrist and a plastic surgeon but they've never heard of anything that could help me. I'm very embarrassed about it and don't know what to do. Covering it up with bandaids all the time is starting to anoy me. Can you help?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 12 minutes later

It is possible to lose a nail after a major trauma, if the trauma is severe enough to destroy the matrix (part of the nail apparatus which forms the visible nail plate).

If your nail has not grown back after an year, the chances of it coming back is very very less though not zero. You may use artificial nail plate which is easily available in the market and fix it there with glue.

You may have to repeat it every few days but at the moment that is the only option we have to restore the normal look.

You may personally see a good dermatosurgeon or plastic surgeon for this.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Thanks.

Follow-up: Big toenail not growing after an accident for almost a year. Suggest transplant of cells or use of supplements? 2 hours later
Do you mean a false nail? Something I glue on myself? I've done this and it just falls off along with the gel nails and acrylic nails done in the salon. I spoke to a plastic surgeon receptionist who consulted with the surgeon and he told her to tell me there was nothing I could do? Will the dermatosurgeon do a procedure?

Thanks XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 2 minutes later
Hi and thanks again,

A dermatosurgeon is the best to address this problem. There is no procedure that anyone can do. It is just about good quality acrylic nails and good quality glue which has to be fixed properly under the cuticle and glued there.

Alternatively you can do it yourself before a public appearance. And let it be fixed as much as possible on the regular days.

I understand that this might be very frustrating to you, but there are not many options to fix this problem.

Hope this answers your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.