Big lump on my buttock. Why does it keep getting bigger? Why does thick, dark blood ooze out? Worry?

Hi, looks like I've got an emergency here. I've got this big lump on my butt that keeps coming back, usually right after shaving. At times, this lump gets bigger and bigger, until it is as big as a golf ball... It starts out soft but gets harder and harder. No white head forms. After a week or two, it usually goes away, but it leaves a huge purple/black XXXXXXX I just got another one and it hurt so much I decided to stick a needle in it. Stupid, I know. Thick, black/dark red blood keeps on pooring out now and it still hurts so badly. What is this?! What should I do to make this stop and to make this spot just disappear? I cannot sit, walk, sleep, ... Help!
Posted Sat, 30 Jun 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 46 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.
It seems that you have an abscess which is basically a localized skin infection caused by a bacterium. The treatment is a course of oral antibiotics like amoxicillin clavulanate and incision and drainage ( a procedure where we put a small cut on the lump and drain out the material inside it) for whatever lumps you have now. This needs to be done by a general surgeon. I would suggest you stop the bleeding right now by pressing a huge wad of cotton on the lump.
This would take care of the lumps at present.
In order to prevent such lumps in future, I would suggest the following:
a. Keep this area scrupulously clean
b. You might want to consider quitting shaving this area altogether. If you must, you should be careful to use a fresh blade each time and clean the area before and after with an antiseptic like savlon or spirit.
c. Over the long term you can apply any powder to keep the area clean and dry.

As of now, you would definitely need to see a surgeon right away.
Hope this helps