Big fatty tummy, smoker, no diabetes or illness. Medication or advise to cut fat?

Dear Doctor,

I m not obese, but my stomach is protruding and I feel the weight when I breath and sleep. I also cannot walk for long. I drive a Jeep to and fro 80km per day home/office daily. I have never done any exercises. Is there any medication or advise you could recommend me to cut my fat in my stomach and lose a little weight. I am almost 90kg and 65 years. I smoke 10 to15 cigarettes a day. I do not drink any alcohol, I do drink black tea with sugar in the office at least 4-5 cups a day. I have no diabetes nor suffered any illness in the past. I am pretty good with my health. The big tummy is my big concern. Would you please help me?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Weight Loss
Answered by Dr. Radhika 2 hours later

Belly fat is actually can increase your risk of developing diabetes, heart disease, stroke and even cancer.

You could follow certain dietary and lifestyle changes.

1. Increase your water intake to minimum of 5-6 litres.
2. Go for morning or evening brisk walk. Swimming is good exercise for reducing belly fat. Bicycle riding for 30 minutes everyday will also help.
3. Take Carrot juice without sugar after exercising.
4. Include lot of salad made of cabbage, tomato, etc in your diet. lime juice,
5. Minimize intake of salt and reduce milk based products like ice cream and butter.
6. Avoid fried, oily and junk foods.
7. Do abdominal muscle strengthening exercises, as many times weak abdominal muscles are the cause big belly.
8. Stop smoking.

Diet pills and medications are only temporary remedies, and can sometimes cause side effects.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.