Big belly since childhood, constipation rarely, otherwise healthy

My five year old daughter has had a big belly since she was small. Since birth has always been at the top borderline of the growth chart. she has bowel movement just about everyday. She does get constipated sometimes and is always very gassy (especially after meals). We eat pretty good, she drinks alot of juices, water, milk. My doctor doesn't seem to be worried about it. She is a big girl and looks perfectly fine, except her belly. My other kids never had a belly that big. I thought she might grow out of it but I don't know how long it would take...I just want to ease my mind about this...Thank you for your help!...
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Gowri Kulkarni 31 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

I appreciate your concern for your child's health.

Going by the information that you have given here, your daughter's BMI, i.e body mass index comes to 17.6 which is a very normal.

I would suggest the following:

1. Incorporate fibre XXXXXXX diet in your child's meals. Increase her intake of XXXXXXX leafy vegetables, fruits and other veggies. This will help in her digestion process and also make her less gassy. It is better to eat a fruit rather that drinking the fruit juices which are usually sans the fiber.

2. Incorporate lots of play in your child's routine. Let her run around and keep active. This will help her to loose her baby fat and also her digestion

Every child has a different structure and frame work. Your child seems to have a large belly. I do not think you need to worry too much as long as you child is active, healthy and eating well.

Hope I have answered your query and eased your tension. Feel free to get back to me with any further query.

Dr Gowri
Follow-up: Big belly since childhood, constipation rarely, otherwise healthy 1 hour later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX for your prompt response and your advice!

You have eased my tension greatly! I will make sure to follow your instructions.

I have one other question...
Is it okay to give my daughter Children's Tums or Children's Pepto, or even Peri-Lax? Sometimes her stomach gets bloated and hard, or constipated...

Thank you again!
Answered by Dr. Gowri Kulkarni 18 hours later

Thank you for the follow up query.

I would suggest that you go for the medications you mentioned only when your child is severely constipated or complaining of bloated sensation.

Usually good physical exercise (play), fibre XXXXXXX diet and adequate water intake help us to have good bowel movements.

I think you are doing a great job being a mummy.

I hope this answers your query. Wish you and your daughter a good health.

Dr Gowri