Bier spots on arms, stomach and legs, partner also having same. Possible or misdiagnosed?

Nephrologist
Question
hi there i have bier spots on my arms and are now starting to appear on my stomach and legs i have seen a dermo and doctor about this condition and both say there is nothing i can do, however sometimes it looks like my husband has them too? is this possible or have i been miss diagnosed?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later

Thanks for the query,

It does look like Bier spots, but bier spot is a diagnosis of exclusion. Which mean that the person has to undergo some tests to rule out all the other possible causes and if nothing is found then the diagnosis of bier spot is done.

But bier spots is not contagious. Your husband should not have got this from you.
The best thing for you to do right now is it to get a small biopsy of the spot of the skin and send it for microscopy, culture and KOH mount to see exactly what it is. If it is actually bier spot then that diagnosis also can be made.

For the time being you can apply a local steroid ointment on them and see if they go away.

If there is anything else i can help you with please let me know I will be happy to help

Have a speedy recovery

Follow-up: Bier spots on arms, stomach and legs, partner also having same. Possible or misdiagnosed? 53 minutes later
but tey come and go under the skin so how can they take a biopsy i have had numerous blood tests ie thiriod, liver, iron ect all came back clear?

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 10 minutes later
I am happy you got back to me.

Biopsy has to be taken when they appear. You will have to watch out for them and take a biopsy when they are present. Skin biopsy is the gold standard for diagnosis of most skin disorders and lesions.

It is good that all reports have come normal. It means there is no systemic problem causing the skin lesions

Let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with.