Best treatment for wernicke korsakorf syndrome

where is the best treatment for wernicke korsakorf syndrome

Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 9 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

Regarding Wernicke Korsakoff syndrome, Wernicke encephalopathy is a medical emergency. Prompt recognition and early treatment can rapidly reverse the symptoms complex. However, if Korsakoff syndrome has already occurred, complete recovery is extremely unlikely.

So the best treatment is to recognize it early and treat with supplemental thiamine, usually beginning with an initial intravenous or intramuscular dose, followed by supplemental oral dose.

In addition, the use of alcohol must be stopped and the person should take a healthy and balanced diet.

I hope that I have answered your questions fully and been of some help. If you have anymore questions, please contact me again anytime.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist